View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 07:40 AM   #50
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Too small to be a Camaro? Do you realize what the CAFE requirements are going to be doing to car design in the very near future? I don't actually like that design/render that was posted on the front page of the site. I wouldn't buy a car that looked like that. But that's just my opinion and I don't bash/trash the guy who created it just because it's not what I want to see. I encouraged him to keep going and keep developing ideas.

I'm not upset if people don't like what I'm doing; what upsets me is when they don't read the thread and make useless posts as a result. I've clearly stated what I would like people to do if they don't like what they see and you've done it. Say why; give constructive feedback as to what you'd like to see changed.

I'm quite aware of current "trends" and I've been deliberately staying away from most of them. I'm not designing a narcissist-mobile. Considering what some of these "old designs" go for in auctions nowadays I don't see being influenced by past designs as a bad thing. The 5th gen is so successful because they absolutely nailed the essence of the look and feel of a late 1960's Camaro.

I'm experimenting. These concepts literally start with a single dot in the middle of empty space. From there I add more dots and start creating shapes. I'm better at this than drawing on paper. As I gain experience with the software I'm getting faster and faster at it too.

I'll keep on experimenting. Right now I'm working on different ideas for fronts.

Here's one I did that's basically a reborn Firebird TransAm, but I'm not going to use.

Attachment 597834

Here's another one that's close to what I'm currently working on, but again I'm not going to use it.

Attachment 597835

With all these experiments I'm doing things that I personally would like; not necessarily trendy or what everyone else might like. Along the way there have been some great suggestions by people contributing in these threads which I've incorporated.

There WILL BE some similarities to things in the past because that's where I grew up ( ) and also, I like some of the cars of the past. Should a songwriter stop writing because somebody already used that chord once? Should a painter not paint because somebody already used that color once? There's bound to be similarities because we still have 4 wheels, engine up front, windshield, side windows, rear window, a roof, outside mirrors, lights in the front, rear and sides, and a boat load of regulations that have to be complied with. Those are all things from the "past" and they haven't gone away. Designers have to work with all those elements today just like they did in the past, so it's not surprising there might be some similarities in designs.

I like sleek, elegant, classy, beautiful and timeless. It seems most of the muscle car crowd doesn't... they want to drive HULK SMASH. I'll keep experimenting and posting the ones I think are worth looking at. If you guys keep posting suggestions and ideas for changes, perhaps together we can come up with something that might actually help the Camaro design team with some useful ideas.
Do you realize that CAFE regulations mainly impact the bulk of what a car company sells? Hence why GM was forced to come out with cars like the Cruze and still sell thousands of 3800 pound 10 MPG V8 monsters. Cafe is calculated based off the total average of what a company sells.
So your argument against mine about size based off Cafe is moot. I'll reiterate, the Camaro cannot be a small 2 seater sports car for the reasons I previously listed.

"I'm quite aware of current "trends" and I've been deliberately staying away from most of them. I'm not designing a narcissist-mobile. Considering what some of these "old designs" go for in auctions nowadays I don't see being influenced by past designs as a bad thing. "

That is fine but then you should expect the vast majority of people to dislike your design to be a future Camaro design. Had you just said "Here is my rendering for a potential future GM sports car", you would get a somewhat better reaction. The fact is that it just doesn't work as a Camaro. If you're going to call it a Camaro then it needs to at least have the basics which it does not.

"The 5th gen is so successful because they absolutely nailed the essence of the look and feel of a late 1960's Camaro."
Yes but it doesn't look old like a 67 it looks like a 2010 catch my drift?

"With all these experiments I'm doing things that I personally would like; not necessarily trendy or what everyone else might like."

Then you really need to not get upset when people bash your design. Its a casual internet forum, you aren't always going to get back essays on what your design is. Fact is people will look at the images, not read anything, then post their opinion. If you can't deal with that, and these are as you said for you personally, why even post them?
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote