View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #549
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
No one is bringing the Camaro to the Civic level. However, it does fit into a broad category of 2-door sporty vehicles that includes the following at a bare minimum:
  • Camaro
  • Mustang
  • Challenger
  • 370Z
  • Altima Coupe
  • BRZ
  • FR-S
  • Genesis Coupe
I thought the Code 130r was supposed to be GMs FRS/BRZ fighter? Why develop a redundant Camaro? I don't see how the Camaro could do both roles well. A cheap sporty car while being a mid priced, high performance model. There would have to be even more concessions made for either model to work on the same car.

American companies aren't going to take over the market by just playing hard at home. These non-American cars are on American soil selling to American buyers. What makes their cars worthy of our sales? GM, Ford, and Chrysler all have to develop global cars, and they're doing it. They also have to fight these cars as they are overseas so that they can make the same money they make here over there. Some people here will never buy American after bad experiences from the Big 3 back in the day. GM should recoup these lost sales by selling overseas and continuing to build undeniably awesome, well-crafted products.

The imports have a reputation for reliability and build quality that American cars do not have. American car companies should focus on building better, more reliable cars to sell overseas instead of forcing the Camaro to be something it shouldn't be. There is no problem in making cars to be sent to Europe and Asia but why change the Camaro? There are plenty of other cars GM could adapt to European styling. The Camaro is one car in the line up that people are attached to for a few specific reasons. Those being performance and aggressive styling. The car was already killed off once for not sticking to what worked, so why change it again when we just got it back? The Mustang never died so they can take a risk with it. Besides, who's to say that Europeans will accept the Camaro in great enough volumes to justify changing it?

The Camaro is not moving downscale. The next Camaro will keep the same awesomeness of the current Camaro, and it will keep it's satisfying V8 and V6 performance base. Let's just add something for those guys who would normally buy a sporty 4-cylinder. Some guys are going to put 26-inch rims on their cars, and we're all going to hate it together. Some people are going to prefer fuel economy to performance, and you don't have to like that either. Fortunately, this decision would be up to GM and not many of the participants in this thread. It is short-sighted to think that GM is going to avoid expanding its sales when the opportunity has clearly presented itself. As a publicly traded company in a mixed economy, GM owes its shareholders a good business case for the Camaro. Selling to enthusiasts is great, but GM also needs to make as much money as possible. It would be a good business decision to sell Camaros with as many easy-to-manufacture options as possible, and that includes a turbo-4. It will compete with all of the above cars both in the US and overseas.
I get that there have to be lower cost, entry level trims to the Camaro and that most people buy them but like I said, the Camaro is only part of the GM line up and is a niche car. If the next and future generations can keep up with the success of this generation, I see no logical reason to change the formula of the car.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote