View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #86
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
I'm still not sure I've got it straight . . .

It's not OK to visually imitate a ZL1, although it is OK to "borrow" a few of the parts for their performance.

It's OK to make the parts harder to interchange, but not OK to require proof over the counter that the parts are intended for an existing ZL1. Even though precedent exists elsewhere for the specific purpose of avoiding "dilution of the name" or some such.

I have bought a number of cars with the specific intent to modify them already in place even before stepping into a dealership. Many times the parts that will accomplish what I'm after will be aftermartket, but other times they will be OE.

If I was shopping for a Camaro today and the 1LE did not exist, one of the first things that I'd try to get done on a built to order car would be some combination of ZL1-spec wheels and the ZL1's front tire size. Been down a very similar road before, most recently with my avatar car.

I guess forced induction doesn't mean enough to me even though one of our cars has it. The downstream thought from there is to question why use of the best available factory performance parts other than that engine (and the magnetic ride) on "lower models" should be frowned upon.

Sure, anybody doing this ought to be driving to use these parts harder than simply as costume jewelry to be worn for car show purposes. That might be considered posing . . .

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-28-2013 at 03:40 PM. Reason: spelling