View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #717
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
And I don't understand yours. You assume the T4 is going to cost less than our current V6 or be more fuel efficient, or both. Big assumption. It's probably only being offered because of Europe's displacement regulations. My guess is it will cost more and be pretty similar to the current V6 in MPG's and perform slightly worse than the current V6.
I never once stated it would cost less than the V6. You are putting words in my mouth.

In fact I believe if anything, the T4 will be an added cost option over the V6. I feel that is more likely. I do feel though that the T4 could be slightly more efficently. I feel that way b/c my wife currently drives a turbo 4 small/midsize SUV and she can get fantastic mileage with it.

But I agree that difference would be minimal. Look...I don't want to buy a turbo 4. I'm just not AGAINST GM offering it. If the ditch the V6, then I will be dissapointed, but if the T4 is made powerful enough to be faster than the current V6, then I'll at least understand why they would ditch the V6 option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
For 400-ish numbers (and even 350's), you're better off with a little more displacement combined with a little less boost and a safer tune. Some years ago, Subaru and Mitsubishi went in opposite directions on this, and for all of those times where you aren't on boost (think about being caught sub-2000 rpm in 3rd gear or higher) the car will be more responsive with the larger, lower boost combination.

Seems to me that acceptability of a smallish displacement engine in a ponycar is predicated upon it having at least 'good' throttle response under as wide a variety driving conditions as reasonably achievable. Trust me on this - I know what even 2.5L off-boost in the wrong gear in a 3400-ish lb car feels like, and it's no better than "barely adequate for a daily driver or winter beater".

Norm
I agree. I think 350TQ is still very safe and usable on a 2.0 turbo engine...and they can go higher. But I wouldn't want that if it never hit any boost until further into the rpm range.