View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #83
revychevy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Right as for the Z/28? They'll def have one. But it wont be anything near this one. Remember, these cars are modern muscle and since history repeats itself, you honestly think performance will stay on a steady increase? Lets look back at where these modern muscle cars came from. 1967-69, most notibly 1969. After 1972, the high perfomance started to drop. In '72 you had the LS-3 "396" as the big perfomer. 1973 "SS" was dropped to "LT" and largest engine was a 350 with 243HP max. This is where performance is headed. May not be this drastic since theyre including DI plus Turbos, Twin Turbos/SuperChargers on them to obtain fuel economy and have the HP behind them. But dont expect a plethora of naturally aspirated engines with too high of HP in the next gen as compared to these 5th gens. They do have one engine to get there and thats the LT1 which will have equal or greater HP than the current SS. After this, I dont see it increasing but actually decreasing in displacement and running FI to stay near the HP numbers if they decide they want to stay near it. The 6th gen will probably outperform the 5th because of reduction in weight and the LT1. After this engine, displacement will drop and so will HP.
They didn't just reduce HP in a vacuum in the '70s. There was the clean air act that got rid of leaded 100 octane gas, (which was everywhere). Catalytic converters, the OPEC oil embargo, rising insurance rates (since they made it mandatory). And Govt surcharges on muscle cars. A perfect storm of fun killing dooky that ruined the US auto industry in my opinion. I was a young man then but remember after the early 70's they started making little compact cheap wanna-be Japanese economy cars, and big oversized underpowered boats. Both of which had little appeal to me.