View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #39
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
I agree, it won't die out completely but I can see around 2025 when CAFE is really stepping making cars have 54+ mpg, that V8s will be for the rich only. Forget the working man affording a V8 in this time frame. It'll be for upper class to drive IMO as it is for those who drive vettes. Not all Vette drivers are upper class btw. I just think that the V8 will probably slow in production to about 1000-2000 a yr as like that of a ZL-1 ect. It won't be extinct, just a dream for many. Get em while they're hot!
THIS. IS. BRILLIANT. LOGIC.

Anyone with more than 2 brain cells to rub together will see that doubling the mileage requirement in 12 years is going to mean that they will need to add a lot of exotic technology to all cars, plus sell lotfulls of volts and "eco" things to make up for each V8.

To make up for a V8 getting 35MPG in 2025, they would need to sell "offsetting" 55MPG cars at a 20:1 ratio to get an average of 54.

Also remember that the V8 car is now competing for the sliver of sub-54MPG of production capacity with pickups and SUVs that will also not get 54MPG.

So, the V8 people will be paying extra $$$ for all the exotic tech and materials in their cars to get them to get as much as 35MPG, then they will have to pay a premium price to help lower the retail prices of the less desireable "eco" cars, so enough saps will buy them to offset their V8 car.

In essence, the V8 price will "necessarily skyrocket" in order to discourage "bad consumer choices" and subsidize the offsetting econoboxes.

Why is this so hard for some people to grasp?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote