View Single Post
Old 03-24-2023, 08:52 AM   #265
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
So now the Camaro, if it becomes an EV CUV, will be a raging success due to the use of a name which by all accounts is currently unpopular, a sales disaster, in a dead segment and is long overdue for the scrap yard as a gm product.

Yeah, put that name on the next gen and just watch the magic as the public suddenly realizes they now want a Camaro. lol...I don't think so. Call it a Panther and end the charade of EVs being called something they are not.
Here’s the nuance…the Camaro name is not unpopular. In fact, the name holds a lot of brand equity. Just because a person doesn’t buy a Camaro doesn’t mean they think negatively about the name or the product. Despite certain events in 2001, I think positively about the 911 name for a car and I think very positively about the car itself, yet I’ve never owned one and probably never will.

Sales are not great for a number of reasons, none of those relating to the name of the car. Building brand equity is one of the most expensive endeavors in Marketing. Repurposing an existing name that has high equity can be fruitful (Malibu, Blazer, Bronco) but can also be dangerous (IROC, Daytona, Taurus). One way to bridge that is to build the new name (Panther) by linking it to a known brand (Camaro). Thinking way back, Envoy was a trim level of Jimmy before it completely replaced the Jimmy name with the next platform upgrade.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote