View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #305
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbui View Post
To each his own! I was thinking about the ZL1 hood, but didn't think it was doing enough heat extraction being too far forward. This hood is so much better than the ZL1 hood for the summer heat down here in Texas. BTW, the hood is very similar to the "ricer Viper" hood and friend of mine had on his Viper...
Technically, heat extraction is better served with the opening further forward from the base of the windshield than you might think. What you want for heat extraction is the vent opening to be in an area of low pressure. Base of windshield is high pressure, exactly what you DON'T want and why it's a good place for things like HVAC fresh air intake (and cowl induction on carbureted cars). Somewhere ahead of that you have a negative pressure region.

Which sort of brings me back to the topic of whether I'd use ZL1 parts on a non-ZL1 Camaro.

If I was after the same functional reason as GM had for their existence in the first place, absolutely. I'd have the benefit of OE engineering and durability testing and a pretty good guarantee of fit.

I would absolutely not do it for appearance.

Norm