View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #271
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Not necessarily advocating for it......but it's no gimmick...truly saves gas, and is ingenious in its engineering.

I sincerely look forward to seeing how they have it operate on the LT1 in the Corvette. They wouldn't put something sub-standard on the Corvette...that's why the C6 didn't have it. So it should be pretty good.

My hope, and since they offer an "off" button for the AFM on the Vette, is that it is truly seamless, and doesn't effect the sound at all (with clever exhaust tuning, of course.)
Here is a compromise idea if some think they want AFM. Leave it in the high volume models, but make a competition oriented model without it. But still an affordable model, not just the uber expensive route like the Z06/ZR1.

Make a HO version of the LT1, +25 hp from base with the addition of a non-AFM cam. Put that engine in a lower volume track oriented model such as a 1LE. To compete against the Boss 302.

Then people can buy a non AFM manual trans version if they want one. And the masses can still have AFM in the higher volume models for EPA purposes.

BTW, I turned off AFM in my new Silverado. Zero difference in MPGs. It appears to be strictly aimed at EPA test parameters, and in my real world driving made zero difference. Zero benifit to mpgs, and all kinds of AFM related stuff added, low perf cam.... means I don't want it. Even if it did miraculously add 2 mps... don't care, this is a fun car not the daily driver fuel mizer.

My vote and hopefully the deciples take this foward.... make a performance version available with no AFM with the manual trans. And not just the uber expensive supercar beater model. Something affordable like the 1LE.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote