View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #264
Chevy_Man

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS 6A
Quote:
Originally Posted by karguy View Post
My opinion on AFM is that it is a useless gimmick just to comply with the new cafe of 35,5mpg.
GM just doesn't sell enough VOLTS...
I also don't think that there will be a off-button for AFM because otherwise they would get sued because of the certified mpg number.
So in the real world people will enjoy maybe a couple mpg better fuel economy but those people don't buy V-8 cars in first place but get real economic cars.
Guys like us will drive in a lower gear with higher rpm to defeat AFM to drive in V-8 mode for the sound or whatever and get worse mpg...
On top of that in pushrod motors AFM burdens the valvetrain with 8 heavier lifters...
Don't get me wrong I love better fuel economy but I am not a fan of AFM on a pushrod V-8 !I love low rpm V-8 sound and you can't get that with AFM...:(

Doesn't really bother me. I just use the Tapshift when I feel the need for a little more hooliganism! The AFM actually probably really helps this car get amazing mileage on the highway. I've had lots of times where on a 280km trip to the city I get all the way down to 10L/100km at 128km/h. That's amazing mileage for a 6.2litre engine. I can't complain! Just wish that the stock exhaust on the Automatic engine was more aggressive. It's pretty tame until you give it at least half gas
Chevy_Man is offline   Reply With Quote