View Single Post
Old 03-06-2024, 11:25 AM   #8
70ls1nova

Drives: 2022 Camaro, 2014 F150, G6, 70 Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
I would not use that Powerstop setup for track days. You are going to get lots of different opinions on brake pad selection, but this bit of info is not opinion....Do not use drilled rotors. They are not for the road course. Cracks will more easily propagate from the holes. Stick with solid blank rotors. Slotted are ok, but they are generally not needed.

The OE Ferodo pads (HP1000) are a very good dual purpose pad. I like the DS2500 and DS1.11 Ferodos also. There's a saying I heard years ago when it comes to brake dust, a dustless pad is a stopless pad. Not really "stopless" but if someone wants excellent pad performance, they have to accept the dust. Unfortunately, pad selection is not the only variable that plays a part in reliable, capable track day brakes. Mass, in the form of larger rotors and calipers, actually is a good thing, to a point. Mass ads thermal capacity. An excellent, easy choice in having a reliable capable track day setup is to swap in an SS 1LE brake package.

And another consideration, a very important one, is cooling. Your SS may have come with a set of large, flat front cooling deflectors. They would have been in the trunk at delivery. They are very good at moving air. If not, then the Cadillac CT5 BlackWing deflectors are another set of deflectors that move lots of air.

Cooling and high quality DOT4 fluid (Castrol SRF, Brembo HTC64T, or Endless 650) should be priority before any other choices are made on pads. Heat is the enemy and it has to be managed no matter the pad choice.
Not to hijack the thread, but, you mention swapping to a bigger brake package. Could we buy the ZL1 Calipers, Rotors, and brake hoses from RockAuto and go with that? Is it that simple??