View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #2155
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocross View Post
So for the PP2 they use a linear steering setup instead of the variable one in the GT?
Yes, but I highly suspect that the variable ratio steering had little to do with the steering issues that we saw in the last H2H the way that MotorTrend implies in the article. You can clearly see in those videos the rear end flopping over in the turns and especially the transitions. That will totally cause steering issues, since the initial turn in will set the front of the car in the turn, but the delayed response in the rear means the rear kicks over, and now the car is turning more than you initially set it with the wheel. Then you have to counter-steer a bit to readjust. This puts a large amount of vagueness in the steering, but that effect will be felt mostly under extreme transitions (like when you are on a road course). On the street in normal driving, it may not be nearly as noticeable. A stiffer rear sway bar would fix much of the issues of the PP1 in that regard. You have to have the front and rear suspension react in the same time, or else you will run into this situation. You can see from Ford's website...

http://performance.ford.com/enthusia...ce-pack-2.html

...that for the PP2 the rear stabilizer bar stiffness was increased 67% whereas the front was only stiffened 12%. When I saw that, I felt that Ford would have fixed the issues that MT documented in the H2H. Of course, the proof is in the pudding, so I want to see another H2H.

As for the variable ratio steering, I love it in the Camaro, and it certainly doesn't cause any steering issues there. In fact, I find that I don't ever have to move my hands from 10 and 2 on a road course, because I don't come near where I would have to cross my arms under the tightest turns, but on the high speed straights, the steering is not too twitchy. It also helps a ton for me because I have the auto transmission, and the paddle shifters are mounted on the steering wheel. Since I don't have to ever move my hand placement on the steering wheel, they are always in position to shift. For manual guys, it would matter less. But, it's not the variable ratio steering that was the problem. It was the rear end flopping around after the front set the turn.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote