View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 04:55 AM   #130
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I know it was hard getting them in the first place but is there a way to curve them a bit to fit the wheel arch? Being straight like that just looks like an afterthought and in my opinion does not flow well with the curves in the rest of the design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
and have them parallel on the bottom of the scoops to the rockers.
I assure you these are a lot more than an afterthought. I tried just about every style of intake you can imagine in all kinds of sizes from small to eating up half the side of the car; none of them looked "right". These are functional and simplistic even though they are not simple by any means. It's a strobe design with each vent increasing in size as you go front to back. The upper and lower angles also change as you go backwards. The upper line follows the slope of the upper fender line, and the lower line follows the slope of the coke bottle pinch line. I don't recall seeing anything quite like these anywhere else which is one of the reasons why I like them. They fit; they're functional, clean, minimalist, yet fairly bold and sophisticated without being crude. Putting a curve on the edges of the intakes would require curving each of the panels that goes into the car. That would look really weird and "scoopy" from pretty much every angle. It's totally unnecessary function-wise and I think that's exactly what it would look like if I attempted it. There's already a lot of geometry going on with 2 different slope angles for the top and bottom, and 3 different sizes of intakes, and all of them curving from top to bottom and front to back.

If you were standing next to this car and walked around looking at it from different angles, your eye would follow the flow of the lines and it would feel more like it "belongs". Look at them in relation to the car design itself; not comparing them to anything else on any other car. Because these are different than what you usually see on cars, these would probably fall into the "it will grow on you" category as far as coming to like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2lt View Post
lower the roof line
The roof line is already quite low. From the top of the roof to the ground is only 50 inches. It's already pushing it to be a 4-seater; lowering the roof even more would make it too cramped for this kind of car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whamslam3 View Post
the sides look MUCH better now nice work
Thank you!

Here you can see the angles of the body lines comparing them to the angles of the side scoop. Notice how the flow of the lines from the back of the scoop towards the front follow the upper fender line and the coke bottle pinch line.

Name:  2016 Camaro orange1.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  78.7 KB
Name:  2016 Camaro orange2.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  95.2 KB

And just for interest and fun here's a shot of it in the dark with just the lights on. I put the 3rd brake light in the back of the shark fin on the roof.

Name:  2016 Camaro night lights.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  64.6 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote