View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #971
revychevy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
I think you are missing the context of what you quoted. He was replying to my statement, so I am probably the one you should be directing your comments at. What I've been saying is that consumer demand for V8s has decreased significantly. We still have them because people like them in trucks, large SUVs, Corvettes and Camaros. We are already seeing a trend toward smaller SUVs with V6s, and if that continues the V8 will be even more rare. The volumes of Corvettes and V8 Camaros are very small as it is. If the number of V8s going into trucks takes a nose dive because of CAFE, then it may be economically difficult for car manufacturers to justify. Will we have a V8 in the 6th Gen Camaro? I think that's almost dead certain. Will we have one in 2022? I don't know but I'm afraid we may not. The only way I think it will happen is if three things change. 1) We move regular duty trucks out of CAFE or into a separate foot print, and 2) We allow car manufacturers to us credits to offset missing minimum foot print targets instead of just the average, and 3) we let the engineers think outside the box. If the first two changes come to fruition it still won't guarantee the Camaro of 2022 will have a V8, but if GM can offer economical Camaros along side V8 Camaros then it can work. If I don't like the base Camaro I don't have to buy one. Hopefully enough other people will so we can get the V8 version.
I already agreed in my post that this was possible, my consideration is that the price of the V8 moves so far north it's close to Corvette range and out of reach.

Like the Srt8 being around 50 grand at dealers around me when they came out.

It seems to me that we have a lot more RWD V8 cars than were available in 10 years ago--- domestic and foreign. I guess they don't count though. It seems to me that performance has had a shot in the arm since retro muscle cars came back on the scene... But I could be mistaken since I don't work for GM or anything.

Am I taking crazy pills? Are there not Shelby 660 hp cars? Zl1s, Zr1, AMG, new Jaguars, srt8s in charger challenger and a 300?, v8 wagons, Cadillacs, and Beemers?