View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #70
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
You're kidding, right???

So you throw up these examples and provide ABSOLUTELY ZERO documentation to back them up as "proof" justifying the price difference between the two. You even say "probably cost more", indicating that you have NO IDEA what they cost. Even using "probably" indicates that the cost difference is slight even in your misguided mind.

Here's the MSRP for the SS and LT Radiators:

$337.85 - SS
$322.77 - LT

That's $15.18 difference in RETAIL price!

Here's the MSRP for the SS and LT Engines:
$4,438.89 - SS
$4,391.67 - LT

This amounts to a $47.22 difference in RETAIL price.

I could go on and on, but you're not going to listen. You are also likely falling into the trap of thinking that as a consumer you pay a ton of money to get a set of brembo brakes, therefore GM must also be paying that same price, which they obviously do not.

Most of the parts on your list (radiator, exhaust, suspension, differential) are essentially identical between the SS and LT models, with the LT versions being slightly smaller or less robust. They are typically manufactured using the same methods and machines and take the same time to build, so the cost to GM to make an SS version amounts to a few ounces of raw metal ore. Not a big difference.

What thinking I put into my comment is apparently an order of magnitude more than that which went into your answer.
I`ll just focus on the major bone of contention, the engines.

This is what new GM crate motors go for. I would be very curious where you got those figures for a V8 and V6 that amounts to a $47.22 difference in retail price when Goodwrench crate motors are a difference of almost $3,100! I understand what the assembly plants pay for is alot different than what you or I would pay, but a $47.22 difference between the two is a little hard to believe.

12652805 3.6 Ltr - 220 C.I.D. - New
RETAIL: $4,691.10
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/36-L...50881C611.aspx

LS3 6.2L Crate Engine old 19244097 new 19258770
RETAIL: $7,760.95

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/LS3-...10590C943.aspx
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote