View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 01:11 PM   #7
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
I agree that knowing what the exact settings are may be trivial and only apply to that track/driver. But if the Camaro team can provide details on their thought process behind why they made the adjustments they did then that could be applied to other tracks that people visit.

For instance if they used the front ride height adjustability to lower the front end because car would be more planted and stable at the speeds they would be reaching on the Ring then that could be applied to faster tracks like Road America where I know people in C5 Vettes with much less power can hit over 150 mph. Then also with the higher speeds reached maybe they adjusted the rear sway bar to provide a little more under steer to again make the car more stable at higher speeds.

Again duplicating the exact settings for any other track is likely not going to be the optimum set up at a different track. But the thought process and reasoning behind why they made the adjustments they made could be very helpful to someone when deciding what type of adjustments they may want to make on their own car for what ever track they are going to next.
So you acknowledge that settings will change between different tracks. You didn’t (appear) to consider Driver talent and driving style. What if the ring driver style is overly agressive requiring more camber than the average driver? What if he was soft on the tires requiring less camber? How did HE like the rear tow setup for turn in/corner exit? Did he prefer a stiffer rear for easier applied over steer? Or maybe softer rear for more understeer propensity in high speed corners?

^^^These are all real life considerations that absolutely factored into the lap record settings, that likely will not translate to 99.99% of people who would read the data from GM if they released it.

I am in total agreement if would be “fun” to know.....but that’s all it will be. Any assumption that replicating the settings on our own cars, on our own tracks, will result in faster lap times is pure BS.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote