View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #160
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
You can only cast magnesium. Aluminium can be stamped from sheets or extruded (awesome for that) or cast.
I'd love to discuss this, but it saddens me that you didn't read my sources. The one goes on about the new method GM has cooked up for making stamped body panels from magnesium. Apparently it stamps well when heated. So, it's not just a cast material anymore.

Quote:
So do you think the Z06 is less safe than a base Z06????? It has an aluminium frame (that my team engineered) and a magnesium cradle. I've not seen any issues with safety or reliability. When we tested it (including all the carbon fiber) we found it quite safe and quite durable. And I can assure you none of this was done for FE or C02. It was done for performance.
So then why are they talking about using it for truck bodies? Are they planning on a comeback of the Silverado SS? I don't think so.

Quote:
Cuz they can dig it up and provide it at a lower cost. I'd guess you would agree that China has way less regulations as far as the environment that we do. In fact wouldn't you prefer they use up theirs first?? I know I would.
Actually, china is not mining this all in china. They are buying up all the mines around the world they can get their hands on. American companies are getting forced out of the business because they are regulated even for stuff they do in other countries, where china is not.

The issue I have is that we have enough regulations that we can safely mine these things and provide good working conditions for miners and leave things pretty well off when we are done. But the tree humpers don't think this is acceptable. They want it so that we cannot mine anything at all anywhere, leaving the door open to other countries who mistrerat their workers and don't take care of cleanup when they leave.

By "saving" the planet from US mines, they "ruin" it even worse, and cause the price of metals to go up too. It's a lose-lose situation.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote