View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #145
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonHowitzer View Post
If gm attempts to produce the Camaro nameplate with no V8 option then it will quickly go the way of the Probe..... For those that do not recall, Ford tried to make a V6 front wheel drive Mustang long ago. The consumers rejected the idea but Ford had already signed on the dotted line to produce the car, hence the Ford Probe was born.... I'm all for lightening up the car, but not by reducing the size of the engine block.
I disagree...

The consumer-base is changing...rapidly. It used to be that V8 was singly-associated with performance. Today, that's not the case: people in 304hp CTSs and 350-something hp Taurus' are realizing it. And remember all those fast-and-furious kids with not-fast-but-looked-it cars? They're growing up, and couldn't care less how many cylinders a car has...about now, they're wanting a car that looks fast...and actually is, too.

For the record, I think it's silly to assume that an equally-powered TTV6 automatically assumes better fuel mileage and lesser weight than a good DI V8...but it's another option that I for one believe shouldn't be ignored because of tradition.

EDIT: I also want to point out that just because an SS MIGHT (in 5 years or more....) have a TTV6...it doesn't mean the Z28 (in 5 years or more) won't have a V8

EDIT 2: I suspect that issue with the probe was more centered around the FWD aspect of the car, than the engines...Camaro has a similar story to tell...