View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 06:02 PM   #197
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Is anyone here fearful that the 200+ lbs of weight lost could be a comparison between....say the 5th gen base car, versus the 6th gen base car with the 4 cylinder?

I mean...I'm as excited about this as anyone (as you can see from my past posts in this thread). I've always predicted that the base Camaro SS would end up somewhere near 3,700 lbs, and the V6 model around 3,500 - 3,550. If true, that would be sweet.

But I just wish we'd have confirmation that "yes, 200 difference between base SS models, or base V6 models" or something of that sort.

I doubt we will get final weight, or power figures on launch day either, so we could be waiting quite a good while to know the answer to this question.
You know this is going to be a complicated answer.

I'm putting my $ on the fact that GM didn't want to BS anyone or get called out with a "but you said............."

The quote was "AT LEAST 200 pounds" If that turns out to have an * in it that means "excludes 1SS, 2SS and 1LE models, direct comparison to V6 models does not apply" then GM is simply playing games with themselves. I don't believe this to be the case however.

The "AT LEAST" may also simply be the cover that there simply is no longer an apples to apples comparison. There may be more standard equipment for example that would make it harder to compare.

I do believe the "AT LEAST" means V6 to V6 or SS to SS and the base car with a 2.0T (has that been announced to even be in the program ) would weigh even less.

The issue is not many on this website really care that a 2.0T weighs 3,500 pounds. What most care about is the SS weighs less than the Mustang GT and that is outperforms the GT.

So just like the HP will be announced as "AT LEAST........." I think the weight is the same. It frankly wouldn't surprise me if the base LS came in closer to 300 pounds less. Although that would be nice........................no one here will car much unless the SS comes in 200 pounds less 1SS to 1SS.

But as I've suggested, everyone should go to a Cadillac dealer and sit in the awesome ATS. It is not a big car. If I shot a picture of the ATS sedan in my garage right now sitting next to an SS which is ZETA based you would be quite shocked. And those cars are only about 450 or so pounds apart.