View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
A discussion about this is going on in the "Why would anyone want a 4 cyl 2016 camaro" thread. Personally I'm not sure I believe him. Sure...I do believe he would fight for what he says, but I don't think the decision is ultimately up to him on what engines go in the next Camaro...so I wouldn't take this as some sort of confirmation.

As for some food for thought I'd like to post up what I mentioned in the other thread:

Quote:
Hrmm...surprising. Ford will definitely be going with the new 2.3 which was recently unveiled for the Lincoln MKC which has 270HP and 300TQ in that vehicle. For the Mustang it will likely make 290ish HP and 320ish TQ. Pretty sure they will offer the V6 as a bas engine.

I wonder if Chevy is looking to offer a larger turbo 4 cylinder instead of the 2.0? I don't know what they would offer to compete with the Ford 2.3 engine.

I think Chevy will still offer a V6, but unless their new "LGX" V6 can put out 300ish TQ it will never be able to compete in 0 - 60 and quarter mile runs with the 2.3 turbo from Ford. The turbo's TQ will peak much sooner and be greater. I do believe the V6 could have the advantage at the top end over the 2.3 turbo b/c it would likely have a 30 - 40 HP advantage, but it would be playing catch up from a dig every time. From a roll the two would be pretty competetive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
So if Al gets his way, Camaro will stay with a 6/8 cylinder powertrain.

It'll come down to how good the new LGX is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
No, it won't. It will simply come down to CAFE. The V6 won't get the Camaro where it MUST be. Has little to do with what Al wants or what Al says to a bunch of enthusiasts.
We need to know more about this supposed LGX 6 cylinder.

Honda makes a pretty nice 60 degree V6 with cylinder deactivation...so what if this new LGX has that tech? In that case, GM has argued already with the new "ecotech" V8s that the reason it did not reduce engine size is because they performed better when in eco (4 cylinder) mode.

Assuming this, GM could end up going with a slightly larger displacement V6 than the current LFX 3.6 which means we could see peak HP and TQ well above the LFX 323/278, but yet it could return mid 30s on the highway when in "eco" mode. If they were smart, they'd disable the eco mode when you throw the car in sport mode or something like that so you have 100% power available all the time without hesitation.

That said, no high revving V6 will match the low end torque of a turbo 4 cylinder, but if they can get the output to 340+ HP they should have a good 30 - 40 HP advantage on top to brag about.

I'm no expert on modern engine tech, but the LFX is already running with all the modern goodies that the new V8s have, so aside from adding cylinder deactivation to the engine I don't know what else they could go that would add considerably more power or efficiency. The cam-less, sparkless engines are years out still. I also realize doing cylinder deactivation in a 60 degree engine versus a 90 degree like the V8s is a tough order....but as I said above Honda is doing it pretty successfully.