View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #276
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
Well then it's even dumber to ignore the biggest economy on the planet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Dorchen View Post
That's because your method is all wrong.

You're not comparing apples to apples. You need to either use the 1967 cost of the lowest trim 1967 Camaro, or use the current cost of a 2013 2SS which is approximately where the SS396 fell in the 1967 Camaro lineup. As it is, you're comparing an upper trim 1967 model to a base level trim 2013 model.

So what you have proven is that if you spent the same amount of money, inflation adjusted, on a Camaro in 1967 you would have gotten an upper trim level Camaro, while in today's world you would only get a base level trim Camaro.

Once you make a true apples to apples comparison you will see that car prices have risen faster than inflation between 1967 and now.

And it's because of Gov't interference.
Are you considering that the "governement interference" is only a portion of that adjusted cost increase? Much of it is technology improvements that arguably we would want and pay for that weren't available then.

Also consider that many of these safety technologies would be customer driven. I'll give you the example of door beams. Developed for side impact, they were designed to "meet the specific govenment standard". The beams themselves weren't mandated. Long story short the Japanese OEMs were puttng these door beams on cars here in the U.S. and NOT in Japan. It wasn't mandated. The Japanese complained about why the U.S. go safer cars and the rest is history.

With the price of oil, I would argue this would take care of itself over time. But the government feels it's involvement will improve the situation.

So I'm not trying to disagree, but many of the advancements that have driven car prices up are technology based.

Brakes are better, tires are better, seats are better (with mandated head restraints ) structure is better, ride is better, car is quieter. On and on.

Now if you wan't to compare the flipside of the anti vibration car CD player I bought many many years ago that played the CD through a cassette player for $400 in "back in the day" dollars and can now be bought for under $20, well that's another story.