View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #332
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Thank you!

Thank you for the feedback. The rear deck isn't linear; I just haven't been able to draw it the way I envision it. The center section goes down smoothly from the rear window to the body edge, but the transition to the two winglets is different. The transition to those goes smoothly from the fender sides and that height carries across the trunk/deck only to the width of the winglets. The center section drops down between them looking somewhat like a recessed area if you were looking at it from above. Hard to describe but once (if) I get it into 3D you'll be able to see the effect.

Due to the restrictions of roll support, airbags and forward visibility, there isn't a whole lot of room for variation in an A pillar. They are what they are. C pillars are a different story. One of the complaints about rearward visibility inside the Camaro deals with the C pillars blocking your view. I was trying to make them less pronounced to improve visibility. This of course departs from the traditional C pillar style Camaros are recognized for but there's not much choice if you want to make them thinner/smaller to improve visibility. Making it thinner and smaller kind of forces it into looking somewhat plain and unexciting but I felt that was a reasonable compromise to gain the benefit of improved visibility for the driver.

The indents at the front fenders... the Camaro always had it at the back but all I did was basically reverse it and move it to the front like the new Stingray has. The idea is to visually elongate the back of the car to give it more of a sweeping wedge towards the front; the exact same idea the new Stingray illustrates so well. If I can get this design into 3D the effect will be much more pronounced and give a true presentation of the idea.

The gills on the side... I originally wanted to have just a single cutout but people said they liked the 3 gills effect from the 5th gen so I put it in there. These are functional and provide cooling intakes for brakes and (on the 1LE, ZL1, Z/28) the oil coolers for the transmission and differential. If I can get this modeled in 3D I'll do both ways and see how people feel about it.

The openings in the bumper... I'm assuming you mean the slots in the rear bumper where the reverse lights are? That's strictly a visual styling trick to help break up the large amount of plain space that would otherwise be there. I'm thinking of making the reverse lights even longer, or they could in fact be the whole length and that would achieve the same effect.

I would LOVE to have this modeled in clay; if only I knew how to sculpt with clay lol. That would just have to be something else to add to my plate of non-paying/not-getting-things-done-around-the-house activities that I need to learn. The 3D modeling in software is doable, I just have to get through the fairly steep learning curve of the software.

Like I stated at the beginning of this thread this doesn't look exactly like I envision due to my visualization/illustration skills not being good enough yet. I'm getting better as I go though as should be evident when you compare the first page of this thread with the current ones.

If I can get this modeled successfully in this 3D software I have, you should finally be able to see how this would really look. There's more going on in the body visuals than my 2d illustration skills have been able to show.

Great and thoughtful comments and feedback, thank you for taking the time to contribute.
I was trying to think of that clay that my instructor was telling us to use for our projects.....I forgot the name (edit...Plasticine). It is more or less artists clay but in a pale white or ivory color. Its very useful in developing concepts (a parti) with designs. Eh you could also use play dough...a bit more smelly but it might do the trick.

Good exercise overall.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic