View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 06:27 PM   #54
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Buick Enclave/Corvette/2010 Camaro
I’m sorry, but there Is a Replacement for Displacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
Nothing is wrong with modern technology, but don't get so hung up on HP/Litre being the greatest accomplishment an engine can achieve. HP isn't the be all end all. Direct injection and VVT isn't exactly the 2nd coming either. a lower displacement high HP motor makes power very differently, and it FEELS very different. HP alone can give you top speed, not necessarily acceleration.

it's Torque that throws your head back. HP is a by product of TQ (HP = TQ*RPM/5252). TQ is the FORCE pushing you forward and HP is the ENERGY your putting out.

The LS3's peak tq is at higher revs yes, but it makes high average torque through the whole range and that's another factor that is important. Lower displacement motors may make the same peak numbers, or better, but the AVERAGE power is usually lower.

I think you're misunderstanding though, I"m not saying DON"T put this engine in the Camaro. I'm saying put it in the Camaro that is intended for HP numbers which is the Z28... A road racer. Keep the high TQ high displacement motor in the SS, because a muscle car should be about trying to pull the front wheels off the ground.

Neither motor is "bad" and neither one will be "better", they will just make different power different ways, some may prefer one way, others the opposite.

EDIT: I should quantify that last statement. The newest technology motor may be better in more aspects than just the dyno curve. And the TQ may not drop all that much if any because of the newer technology. I'm basing my statements here on generalizations of EXISTING engines. Who knows what the gen V dyno curve will look like, I don't, You don't, I doubt even Fbodfather does yet. It may just turn out to be a mule, god knows chevy's done that to us in the past.
Yes, a 5.5 liter won’t have the torque of a 6.2 liter, but it will likely have more torque per liter, and it will likely be geared to use it more effectively. Bottom line, torque to the rear wheels should be as good or better. If I have to drop it 500 rpms higher, I’ll live with that to get the better economy.
Hopefully they will put the car on a 200lb diet when they release it with the new motor. That should do it.

I was speaking hypothetically with the GM team at the Carlisle show about what I thought would be a good next gen motor. I received an answer from one to the effect that there was no need to guess, he had already seen it ( I also believe he was piloting one of the Camaro Convertibles during the 5 car excursion earlier in the month.) BTW, I’m sure Fbodfather knows as well, he runs in the same pack. Obviously that was as much detail as I was going to get. When talking to another GM team member on the broader picture (across all the model line) he indicated an increasing shift to forced induction. Hey, maybe we might see a FI 5.5 for the Z28 one day??? (BTW- when I asked when we would see a Z28 convertible, the reply was there has to be a Z28 coupe first)
So those of you (like me) who are old school, “there is no replacement for displacement” have to realize, it’s going to be replaced if we like it or not. Face it, like Mad Max, we have the “last of Big V8s”.
Hell, It could be worse, GM could be planning to have a volt derivative for the Camaro. (Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited about the serial electric power train,……just not excited to see it in a Camaro )

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote