View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 08:23 PM   #211
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Been watching this read for a while, and I think I’ve figured out why you’re not getting a big response.
I think you are taking the opposite approach to your design than you need. It seems like you are starting with the affordable lower-end design and trying to spice it up. That’s the equivalent of plucking a kid from the suburbs, putting gangsta clothes on him and dropping him in the projects. Sure he might have some of the look, but you can just tell it BS underneath.
IMHO, there are two truths in car design: 1) any design has to evoke emotion to be appealing, and 2) All visual impact of a car starts with the wheels.
Think about all the designs over the years that have been called beautiful or memorable. They all had designs that picked up the impact of the wheels and brought it into the body style. Swoopy fender lines, body lines that picked up the “motion” of the wheels and exaggerated it, etc. These things cause emotions in the viewer. 3rd gen Corvettes (which were terribly executed but people still loved them), Jaguar XKs, Aston Martin DBs, the list is long. The 6th gen Camaro has this to a much more subtle effect, but it’s there. I’m not getting that vibe when I look at yours.
I would go the other way: create a really emotional design that, for lack of a less corny description, stirs your soul. Something that looks like it just has to be fast without even starting the engine. Then start toning that down if necessary to get it affordable. By starting with the objective of creating an affordable design, you created a glass ceiling for yourself that no amount of duckbills and ground effects is going to fix.
Don’t quit, just reinvent yourself. 👍😀
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote