View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #644
revychevy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Well the original question was why would anyone want one. The reason would simply be they want Camaro style, handling and character with decent performance and better fuel economy.

This thread has a lot of people reacting as if the question was "why would anyone want a Camaro if it only had a 4 cylinder". I agree, you will likely see V8s in Camaros in the "near" future. A lot of geopolitical crap and added government regulation beyond a 50+ MPG CAFE could easily change that though.

But there have been a lot of Camaros sold over the years that didn't have a V-8 of any displacement. Some were even 4 cylinders. And frankly, someof the 6 cylinders weren't much to speak of either. 3.8L pushrod comes to mind. That didn't make them any less a Camaro. And keep in mind that the current 3.6L makes more HP than a lot of the old V8s.

So the original question was NOT eliminating V8s. It was adding a 4 cyclinder to the choices.

But I'm not sure you really mean a lower weight Camaro (if that happens) and a 270 to 300 HP Turbo charged 4 cylinder is a grocery getter.

ANNNNND to keep beating the dying horse, I'm also sure you don't think any early 80's Camaro with any V8 choice available represents "American Muscle". At least I'm pretty sure you don't mean that. Cuz I remember the day when the Chevy Citation with the HO V6 was faster than a Camaro with that sweeeeeet 145 HP V8.

Soooooooo let's ask this question, maybe a different thread.

Who would want a 2.5 L Turbo charged V8 in their Camaro? Is it HP, displacement or simply the number of cylinders that make it a Camaro? It would probably rev to 8,000 rpm easily and simply extracting numbers in a linear fashion from the current 2.0L T should make a respectable 350 HP.

Mid 70's and 80's Camaros (all American muscle at the time was fairly anemic due to the very same CAFE problems we are having now. And of course I know that those early slow catalytic converter having 145 HP sporting V8s don't compare to 4 bangers now.)

They also don't compare to DI V6s. I'm talking about now. No mid 70's engines compare to now, Priuses can beat some of them on a drag strip. It will be the same with us 50 years from now. I am not interested in or advocating comparing 4 bangers to engines almost 50 years ago, nor am I saying that only V8s are Camaros. It's just easier to discount me if you believe that.

I owned a V6 prior to the SS and I am comparing V6's to 4 bangers. Modern DI V6's tuned for performance.

What I said earlier is I think the Turbo 4 is NOT cheaper nor better mpg cost, and about the same power as a good NA DI V6.

So tell me about that, not the condescending part about whether I think a HiPo turbo 4 in a light weight modern car with modern rubber and suspension could outrun an old 80's Iroc Camaro.

As for what I believe is a grocery getter-- the I4 in the Impala and Malibu come to mind... Be careful what you wish for.