View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #535
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I firmly believe adding a turbo-4 base model will NOT in any way diminish the pedigree or excitement of the awesome-power/performance V8 Camaro models. If they pull it off right (which I believe they can and will) - it could add to it...much like this generation's no-nonsense V6 model did. How many folks pounded their feet and crossed their arms in 2008 that a V6 Camaro would never, ever, ever be worth looking at? Now, obviously, it's not for everyone, but there's no denying the LT manual lives up to Camaro's reputation, and is a fun car to drive!

If the car is to be global (as the Mustang will be)...they'll NEED to appeal to European tastes. Remember - some of those poor folks get taxed or regulated or however it all works based on displacement of the engine, not just mpg or emissions. You're right that there's a market overseas for our traditionally American-sales-only Camaro...it's almost "exotic" to them (using the term literally, by the way, "exotic" as in: rare, desired, special). But in order to truly tap that market, they'll need to be aware of its requirements.

And they've ALWAYS needed to appeal to the masses...One of the largest contributing factors (among, admittedly many) of the 4th-gen's demise was that the entire car was too enthusiast-focused. They went too far in the right direction, and lost their majority of buyers.
I don't think you can make the Mustang and Camaro global cars without losing the core aspects of what makes those cars great. They are American muscle cars. I would rather the Mustang and Camaro sell better here than change to possibly sell better somewhere else and lose their appeal to American and Canadian buyers.

In what way is the 4th gen too peformance oriented?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote