View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 07:36 AM   #32
Misfit1

Drives: 2012 White/Inferno 2SS
Doc,
I have lurked in your two threads for a little while now and you ask for constructive criticism...I truly agree that it was you need.
I come from a design background and can tell you that what may be constricting you a bit is drawing. For every design that I created I made at least 20 or more thumbnail sketches, from those I chose the best 3 to 5 and refined them. This had me define more of what I was looking for, by no means the finished product. After that I chose 2 or 3 that truly had the basis of what I wanted, and only then did i place it into a digital format (and normally 2d first). The first is a digital rough, blocky and unrefined. But i would then take those three and after seeing the digital roughs sided by side, decide on which one I would create. By then it had taken on a life of its own. I truly feel this may be the part of the process that is holding you back.
Every design process is done in this way; many, many steps until digital. Reason being is that you are constrained by the small box that you place the digital image in and thus less creativity comes forth. Trust me I tried.
**In another thread you mention cartoony comic book cars, I get what your saying, but that is the beginning, the ideas, the brainstorming, the refining all before it becomes digital and tangible.**
I think you are at the cusp of what you could design. Your other concept, I was not fond of only because it seemed as though it drew from multiple other cars, kind of like a Frankenstein, but with that said, it was a triumph in the aspect of learning the software, a bit about the design aspect and hopefully a way to take criticism and be humble. Remember as 1 man builds it, hundreds will try to tear it down.
With this one, I like the fact that you looked elsewhere such as the P-51 mustang for inspiration, just be careful about being too literal in "retro" translation. Also an idea is to look towards nature, for your ideas as well. Nature is the perfect designer for a reason, hence why we rely on it for so many of the designs and items we have today. I think you are on the right track to inspire yourself and others, I just think you are missing the first steps and diving right into the computer cause its the real fun part as you see it fleshed out in reality.
As for this car, I don't really see a solid Mustang or Camaro. What I do see is a lot more pieces parts from other cars again. Not that its not a great effort, it just needs that bit of charisma and personality to be one of those two cars, something found in the beginning stages of design. Also, let the comments of others enhance your ideas, not influence your direction. Some will like it, some will not, it is a rare bird when everyone loves it! I mean the gen 4 Camaro body style was originally supposed to be a corvette and the ford probe was intended to be a mustang, neither fit the bill for the original purpose....so don't get hung up on what it should be. design it and if its a Camaro then awesome, if its the DOC ConceptX, then awesome! Remember, Edison made hundreds of electric piles of junk before getting the light bulb!

@ everyone else, give the guy a break, if you can do better than do it, if not, then give CONSTRUCTIVE advice, if not that, then sit back and watch what unfolds because you are just a bystander this time.
Misfit1 is offline   Reply With Quote