View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #145
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
Well GM does sell 3 times as many Camaros compared to ATSs, so I'm sure that is taken into account to spread costs and keep the price down.
It is..................but selling more of something doesn't mean you get to put more cost into the product. ATS was supposed to sell at much higher volumes, more like 3 Series.

Doesn't mean GM won't differentiate further between the SS and LS/LT either. But it is very hard to put premium materials in a sub $30,000 and keep it profitable.

But you've hit on one of the problems. If GM has 70% new parts, then they aren't getting any advantage on costs based on ATS/CTS volumes. But likely those are the 70% that include interior trim and body that would obviously be different.

But the really scary thing that crossrd my mind was when GM introduced the Saturn L series mid size cars based on the Opel Vectra. There was a video of someone proudly emptying a box with all the parts that were common with the Opel....................2 parts came out of the box as I recall. The Opel Vectra was a pretty good car. Saturn L? Not so much.

Not suggesting the same fate, it just reminded me of that.

Last edited by Number 3; 03-19-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote