View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #314
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
Awesome, glad you guys like it!
I started writing a reply yesterday evening but I kept falling asleep. It wasn't because I stayed up very late the previous couple nights working on a certain rendering, I swear!

I definitely spent a lot of time on it. I changed just about every detail dozens of times until things worked together (edit: ...in accordance with the original vision in my head). Something small would look good as a standalone detail but wouldn't fit the rest of it, then when that worked out something else didn't look right... That back and forth over and over, etc. etc. etc., and sometimes I'd scrap an idea altogether and start over. Sometimes just throwing some 'paint' on there in goofy ways ends up working out well with some tweaks. Then there are tons and tons of small tweaks to the shapes, shades, and colors.
I know Doc knows exactly what I'm talking about.
Through all this, you'll notice that the overall silhouette/dimensions changed very little, just a couple slight curves here, slight corners there, etc. I think the dimensions are pretty much spot-on from this view.

All that being said, I'm not trying to take any credit for the car, Doc still gets all that for bringing the car into existence with a realistic shape, I just modified what he already had and I used several of his ideas, just in a different way.
Honestly, it would take me ten times longer just to get a decent front view shape if I had to start from scratch, let alone the other views, then all of the details would need to be created. I'm also just using Paint Shop Pro and it's a lot easier for me to play with existing things rather than creating things from nothing.

To me, this front view still says "I'm a Camaro and proud of it" without looking too much like anything from the past. Of course, that's always the critical goal of the designers when designing passionate cars like this. Just like Doc, I'd LOVE to be on the Camaro design team but I'd HATE to be on the Camaro design team, if you know what I mean. This car is not taken lightly by its target market (us).

All in all, I could blissfully spend many more hours playing with just this view, but at some point reality has to kick in because I have life to take care of. I'd really like to finish my vision on the rest of the car but I really don't have the time to do it any justice. Again, it would be the same overall shape, I'd just apply the same design philosophy as I did to the front. Doc, overall your rendering is really good! It's definitely fun to play with. I'd LOVE to see both styles finished in 3D!

Last edited by ALLTRBO; 09-16-2013 at 07:02 PM.