View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #137
ssrs396

Drives: 68 vert 396 13 ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
These vents aren't just for brakes. In addition to brake cooling my concept calls for the transmission and differential coolers to be back there too; one for each side. This makes for a much shorter plumbing run for the coolers and moves the weight from the very front of the car (where you don't want it) to the back axle which would help with overall weight balance. The shorter lines would also weigh less and require less coolant which would save weight.

If you played with the vent styles like I have, then you do understand why I settled on this particular design. This is a no-frills performance design; not a show car design.
Well if its for all that function than I am good with it. Still looks mid engine, not that that is a bad thing. Like I said before I like it.

Quote:
You know I've spent some time looking into a front vent like that and I've decided not to go that route for several reasons. One, the engine compartment heat would vent out the top anyways (heat rises) so in addition to a working hood vent system, I'm also looking into a fender vent system of some kind. Two, since I started thinking about it I've been looking at other cars on the road and I've seen that front side-vent style used heavily on Dodge cars, and a LOT of other cars have variations on that theme including the new Stingray. Because it's so "trendy" and I don't think actually does all that much, I'm not going that route to help keep this Camaro design looking unique and more purposeful. (Don't take that personally; I know you've really been set on a side vent of some kind. I could probably put whatever design you think would look good on a version and do some renderings for you if you want to have them for wallpapers or something.)
Thank you but you are putting enough work into this already. I don't know about trendy, I just think the vent actually is functional and also helps define the front fender and body indent. Your rear vents look great but if I was going to go without rear vents then I would want something similar to what I did with the front that's all.

Quote:
And now for some revisions...

I made a complete duplicate of the original project file and I'm playing with some variations. For this version I've gone with my original idea of the rear fender flowing almost straight into the rear winglets. I've lowered the hood bulge profile to make the front of the car look less bulky. A lot of little tweaks and adjustments to make the overall car look more unified and less like a 3-piece design with the front, middle and back not feeling quite like they're connected. I think this was what some commenters were seeing when they were saying that the side view looked "off" somehow.

Here you can see on this white rendering the new rear fender line.

Attachment 567713

This render shows the front with the less bulky hood.

Attachment 567717

And of course, Blue Angel next generation. (It took quite awhile to figure out how to get the right color blue enamel-look but this is pretty close!)

Attachment 567714
Attachment 567715
Attachment 567716

I think the outside of the car is just about done. The hood vent system and door handles are next and that's about it for the outside. Now I need to put in a steering wheel and get something going for the dash and interior.

Then after all that's done, start working on wings and aero pieces for the Z/28.

Ok now I like that Blue Angel treatment and the body line on that back 3/4 shot. However I like the body line on the side shot of the orange car before......go figure..lol
ssrs396 is offline   Reply With Quote