View Single Post
Old 04-30-2016, 07:50 PM   #7
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
n 30 years of car ownership, I've been about 50/50 of manual vs automatic vehicles. I certainly understand there are those that must have an automatic due to traffic concerns, or the "only thing available" problem, or horridly, never learned to drive a stick, but my question goes to whether or not those that had the choice then chose an automatic. A couple of personal examples for reference, I had a Mazda Shinka RX-8 with a stick and loved it. Can't see getting an automatic. I've also owned a BMW 2-series and I've found its 8-speed automatic to be a blast. Of course, one advantage to an auto in the last decade or so is that it usually gives better performance and better gas mileage.

So, knowing the pros and cons of both, who got an automatic and feels that the automatic is ALSO an enthusiast's car? Yes, I may be asking for affirmation, but I would be happy to hear from those that have driven both and can make a valid argument for avoiding the automatic.

The new 8 speed auto with its quicker shifts is much better than the sluggish a6 it replaces. However, the new M6 with its active rev matching is pretty slick tech as well. I think it is a matter of your driving conditions. If you sit in traffic a lot then the auto will make life easier while still being fun. However, if you don't get stuck in a daily commute or you look forward to driving it on the weekends then the manual provides that extra level of engagement that most enthusiasts prefer.

They are both great but I still think most hard core enthusiasts will pick a manual if given a choice.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote