View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Does anyone know the gender breakdown of 5th gen buyers? I see a fair amount of women driving the cars now, so it's not as if it's totally a 'guy' car right now.

Knowing as little as we do about the 6th gen car, it's very hard to predict whether there will be more, less or a similar number of female buyers. I'm not sure that a turbo-4 is going be as much of a factor as you might think. Not to sound sexist, but the hard truth is that a lot of women don't know or care what kind of mill is in their car, and I'm skeptical that fuel economy would be that much better than the V6.

At this point, styling is the biggest wildcard for the 6th gen. My guess is that whether the new car moves the needle in terms of more women buyers will depend a lot on how much the styling appeals to women. If it looks very similar to the current car, I'd expect similar sales to women. If the design is more aggressive, I'd expect few female buyers. If it's 'softer' or more 'European,' then maybe we'll see more female buyers. In general, it seems like the more 'boy racer' a car is, the less it appeals to women.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote