View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #56
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
I can't imagine why I would ever want a 4 cylinder Camaro. I can see wanting a 4 cylinder in a car designed for a 4 cylinder engine, but I really don't see the point in bastardizing a car made for muscle.
Fixed that for you. The whole point is that you don't have to. Same as people who don't give a rat's ass about "muscle" or exhaust aren't forced to buy it in V8 trim.

Look around your neighborhood. On my block, there are exactly two V8 cars other than mine, and there might be a couple more cars in top-of-the-model-line performance trim other than my other 3. Most people really do just buy point A to point B transportation.

Quote:
A lot of posters seem to think everyone against the 4 cylinder Camaro are neanderthals. We're really pragmatists. We know what introducing a 4 cylinder means for V8 enthusiasts; watered-down performance.
It's an unfounded fear that 4-cylinder levels of performance will drag down the performance levels for V8 versions. A V8 version will still need to be competitive with V8 versions of the Mustang and Challenger/Cuda/whatever ChryCo decides to call it next.

I'd fear upcoming mpg standards far, FAR more than 4-cylinder powerplants as far as maintaining or further improving performance is concerned. Fighting against availability of a four is picking the wrong battle.

I know about Iron Dukes (and Chevy's 153 CID fours 10 or 15 tears before that). Neither of those adversely affected V8 development, and we're anywhere from 20 to 50 or so years removed from the state of tune that those engines were built to.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote