View Single Post
Old 05-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #19
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatwhite View Post
matte paint? idk what terms you guys use but anyone iv talked to has said matte paint is powder coating. someone on here has had to have seen a powdercoated car before

like this

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...6c719c8a9f.jpg
Hi. I think maybe we use the correct terms

Powerdercoating is a process in which literally, a free-flowing fine powder is fogged onto a piece of metal. That metal has essentially a static charge, and the powder sticks. The piece then is cured in an oven, and the particulate powder flows and cures. Typically the powder is a type of plastic. This process has been in use in the automotive industry for a long, long time.

The result is not usually a matte finish although I'm sure that in 2015 we can produce that effect. The classic result is a satin-like finish, and oh yes indeedy-do there is a difference, ask a guy that takes a restored car to shows in which he competes The frame rails and control arms, radiator core support and brace, air cleaner, and inner fenders on for instance a 1970 Chevelle would be examples of powder coated parts.

The main difference between a conventional paint finish and powder coating is that powder coating requires no solvent to bind the filler in a liquid state. Powder coating offers a hard, difficult to scratch finish and actually is superior to 'wet paint' in several ways such as blending colors and the elimination of runs or sags but powder coating perversely doesn't apply itself well to thin coatings. However thicker coatings is where powder coat really shows off and since the powder flows to find its own level, a very smooth finish can be obtained.

I can't speak to the information you have been given but it is possible that the people you spoke to were unclear on what you meant...as you're not powder coating any part that can't be excited electrostatically.