View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #64
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
What I am saying is that we know nothing about the "test" for the C7. I want to see the data.
  • What were the transmission gears used for the LT1 and the LF3?
  • What was the final gear ratio used for the LT1 and the LF3?
  • What minimum RPM would the LF3 have to run at to get the same torque as LT1 when it is in V4 mode at say 65 MPH in the top overdrive gear?
Apples to Apples comparision. If they designed the transmission's overdrive gears to work with the powerband available from the LT1 in V4 mode, then just slapped in an LF3 and said "see, no better gas mileage" then it is not a good comparision. They should design the entire drivetrain around the powerplant to get the optimal performance (acceleration and fuel economy). None of that is even discussed in the one little snippet one guy made in an oblique reference about the stingray. Thus my earlier comment that some are reading too much into that one statement.
We're never going to know about that stuff though. The fuel economy in the CTS vsport is pretty poor anyway, so I really think that the LT1 would produce equal fuel economy. It also comes with all the benefits that I previously talked about. GM HAS to offer an affordable V8 option because people like me won't buy it any other way. I would drive a V8 mustang over a TTV6 Camaro, and I hate Mustangs...
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote