View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamarJoe View Post
I would bet that the new base model Camaro will use the turbo 4-cylinder that will be in the Cadillac ATS. I believe it is a 2.0-liter with 270hp. I think they'll still offer a V8, albeit at a much higher price. I'm excited to see this new engine as I think it would be great for the new 2013 Malibu as well as an aftermarket Sonic or Cruze. I don't think a twin-turbo V6 is doable at least right now. Chevy and GM really don't have a whole lot of experience in turbo engines, let alone twin-turbo engines. Having said that, there are rumors that the next Corvette could use a twin-turbo V6, so GM might be making a huge gamble by researching and developing a TT V6, but I think it would be great. Personally, I prefer natural aspiration, but I completely understand why they would move to smaller displacement with turbos. Weight management is more important for the camaro anyway.
Actually...They've been doing turbo-charged engines for a while. They developed the twin-scroll turbo 4 cylinder long before Ford ever thought of "EcoBoost". They're just horrible at advertising it.

Rumor has it that they initially developed the ZR1 to use turbochargers...but the compact engine compartment of the Corvette caused a...."thermal event"...at those power levels, so they deciding on supercharging, instead.

They've already built, and sold a turbocharged V6 in the Cadillac SRX, but it didn't sell very well. And...they've just engineered a twin-turbo V6 for Indycar racing.

Took a trip around the world just to say: "It's possible"...sorry.