View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #613

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
A 4-cyl Camaro....I've watched and posted in this thread from day-one and think it's time for me to share my "deep thoughts" and current feelings on this "topic"...lol...

In light of the Z/28 debut....Performance themed auto-show recently...and that we are still in the 5thGen....I agree that an I-4 seems like a "what the hell could they be thinking" sort of thing...

Like many of you, I think an I-4 would be a disaster....in this Gen5 Camaro, that is...

I don't think there is any room for complaint that Chevy has not fully satisfied the desires of the modern muscle car era, in fact gone above and beyond with the ZL-1 and now an LS7 Z/28...The Gen5 line-up has expanded, not for the 4-cyl, grocery getter crowd, but instead for the performance, retro, enthusiast (hard-core and everyone else)....

We all hope this will continue into the 6thGen...and I'm sure it will, but perhaps not to the extent that we have seen with the 5th...What more can be done, really?

The 6th Gen will be on a different "plat-form"...I have come to believe, that an I-4 will "work" with that set-up...Should it be done?...Short answer, yes. It will not be a 5thGen car...This I think is what we have trouble getting our minds around, envisioning a 4cyl, that is in something other than what we drive now with the 5thGen...Chevy has not, and will not put a 4-cyl into the 5th Gen...No big news there, but overall, I think that the real "miracle" is that we have only seen power and performance increases with the 5th Gen in this day and age...That we haven't seen engine down-sizing is this gen is the real story, and that is more the exception than the rule...

I think it's a necessary move for Chevy and GM to include an I-4 in the next gen, with all the inevitable pressures that determine what types of cars must be built for the industry to even remain viable...

On the flip-side, wouldn't a car that could handle an I-4, be an awesome beast with a large V8 in it?...We will get that in the 6thGen as well...

...Maybe I'm getting mellow in my old age, but if Chevy comes out with an I-4 in the next gen, we really can't or shouldn't complain seeing what they did with the 5thGen...

"Have a Nice Day"....lol...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote