View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #2
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by attymf View Post
So, V8 or V6 Twin Turbo and why...

I'm assuming the V6TT will be the same specs as the Cadillac XTS turbo. 410 HP and 396 TQ. I'm not too familiar with turbos. I know on a super charger you can simply change a pully and thus boost. Can this be done with a turbo. If so, can you easily mod this TT setup. If you can, what do you think you can safely push it to.

I've owned god only knows how many V8's in my life and have to say I've beat the crap out of every single one of them and am frankly amazed at the amount of abuse they have with stood (current Camaro included!) I like the rumble of the V8 and know what you can do to them as far as mods. I'm gonna assume the LT1 (current vette engine) will be in a Camaro down tuned to like 440-450 HP and TQ.
There are no pulleys for turbos. You can usually get a nice pump in power just with a tune (The Caddies with the LF3 are seeing around 400+ RWHP just from a tune). Add some bolt-ons, change the waste gate springs and it can be more. Upgrade the turbos and even more. However, at some point you will start breaking things. My guess is if the LF3 goes in the 6th Gen you will see a lot of 500 RWHP ones running around in a year or so.

If the factory tune on the LT-1 for the 6th Gen is anything like what they are seeing in the vettes, then there's going to be quite a bit left on the table. You will get 400+ RWHP just from a tune on those as well. Getting to 500 RWHP will be a little more expensive for the LT-1 IMHO, but we don't know the price difference between the vehicles so it may be a wash. I would suspect you can push the LT-1 to a higher HP level before needing to upgrade the bottom end, but that's just a guess.

So, given the assumptions above I would probably go with the LF3 over the LT-1. If you throw the LT-4 into the mix then I would go with that.