View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #21
Sunsnare98

Drives: 2017 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Suspension View Post
I don't know how I missed this but I did... This information is not overly accurate.

Soft cradle and differential bushings are huge contributors to wheelhop. Yes the frequency of wheelhop is much high because the slip and grip of the tires is happening much quicker that the oscillation of the cradle/diff bushings, but that oscillation is in many cases the initial cause of wheelhop. Beyond that, once wheelhop starts, the cradle and diff are moving around so much that the tires can't physically get traction for long enough to drive out of it. When you limit or eliminate that cradle or differential oscillation from soft bushings, there is less movement to initiate wheelhop, and less oscillation to prolong it. You also have less movement in the links because the entire assembly is moving less. And you get less dynamic rear wheel alignment change, which gives you a more consistent tire contact patch. All of this leads to more traction.

The downside is, when you add harder cradle and differential bushings, performance goes up but so does NVH. This means more noise in the driver's compartment.

Trailing arms help in a different way. The factory links are made from very thin stamped steel with soft bushings. These links are so flimsy the you can pretty much twist them by hand. Imagine how they move with the amount of torque these cars make... By adding rigidity to the links and firmer bushing, you reduce the link and bushing deflection. This reduces rear spindle rotation as power is applied to the chassis. When the spindle rotates (similar to wheelhop in its speed and frequency) there is spring back due to the rubber bushings. This can cause the tire to load and unload, causing wheelhop. The more solidly you can mount the links, the less spindle rotation and wheelhop there will be.
In your opinion... can you tell us what parts to start with one by one to cure wheel hop and gain more traction? These are my plans.

1. Cradle bushings
2. Upper/Lower trailing arms
3. Upper control arms

I was planing on doing it in that order, although I'm thinking about skipping the cradle bushings.
Sunsnare98 is offline   Reply With Quote