View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I just don't see the point of a 4 banger in the Camaro unless they can get upper 30s for the highway mileage. The V6 is currently already around 30 and I'd expect the next gen to improve by 10% or so over that. So now we'd be looking at low to mid 30's on the 6. If the 4 banger is 'just' mid 30s, I don't think it will be enough of a difference to justify its existence. People will see 33 mpg on the, lets say 330 hp V6 vs 35 mpg on the 270 hp Turbo4. I just don't think thats enough seperation between the two unless gas prices jump again.

Plus, adding another engine to the lineup increases weight and cost for everything else, especially when its a completely different configuration than the other offerings (a 5.3L V8 and a 6.2L V8 will mount up the same way and take up the same real estate inside the engine bay ... that doesn't happen with an I4 vs a V6). You'd be adding weight, and adding cost, for something that doesn't add much value. I think a smarter move would be to have a 3.1L base V6 and a 3.8L 'upper V6'. I'd expect a small V6 would deliver similar numbers to the turbo4 (while costing less) while the big V6 would offer better performance with a bit of a fuel economy hit and would sit as an intermediate engine to the base V8 (which I expect will be smaller than what we have now)
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum