View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #251
Ajmalian

Drives: 2017 ZL1 and 2016 GMC Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
What car do you own? I drove an M3 and it was completely different than what your experience seems to be...
I doubt you've driven an M3 with a DCT transmission because I have driven a few myself and they drive exactly like what 'Sweet Z' has described. I've even driven the new M6 which has DCT and its the same story. DCT's are indeed automatic transmissions equipped with two clutches. Each attending to the alternate gears. The SMG gear box is the one that really can't be categorised as automatic, even though it too works on paddle shifter and shifter lever and no clutch pedal.

I think what you've driven is one of the M3's which was equipped with the SMG gear box, cuz that drove very much like what you initially were describing, basically like a proper manual transmission....just minus the clutch pedal.

Are you sure the M3 you drove had DCT? Because even the current outgoing M3 comes with DCT, but as an option....just needs you to throw in the bigger bucks...otherwise it comes standard with the old SMG or a stick shift!!
Ajmalian is offline   Reply With Quote