View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 03:29 PM   #5
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidedraft View Post
It could very well be that the ZL1 is meant to be the range-topping trim level for the 6th gen Camaro, even though it will be released before the Z/28.

Or -- if the Z/28 has to be the highest trim level -- rather than try to make a Z/28 faster than a ZL1 by handicapping it (has to be NA, has to have ~550 HP), would it make more sense to just start with the ZL1 as the base car and add more speed (carbon ceramics, aero, tires, etc)?
As an owner of both cars in their Gen5 variant I will never say the Z/28 is the top of the food chain for the Camaro. The ZL1 is too balanced to be 2nd to the track focused Z/28. While the Z/28 may cost more (or did when I bought it), IMHO the ZL1 is top of the Camaro food chain in the Gen5. It simply is better at more things than the Z/28 and a very close 2nd in the one area the Z/28 accels.

As for the performance of the newer versions of the cars, the ring WILL NOT give us any indication of the performance improvements over the Gen5 nor versus many of the other cars that have tested there because the ring has undergone extensive updates to the track since the Gen5 and most of the other cars ran there. If you remember, there was this big noise about the GT350 besting the Z/28 times at the ring YET Ford never really made to much noise about it because the track updates made the times incomparable. So, I would be looking to VIR for the new numbers that are comparable to the Gen5 and other cars:

To review, the Z/28 ran VIR in 2:50.9 and the ZL1 ran it in 2:57.5 in Gen5.

I think we will see the Gen6 ZL1 come in @ 2:46'ish and the Z/28 (if that is what we are seeing and is a radical as I hope with CF wheels and option for rear seat delete, etc. somewhere in the 2:42'ish (the 2015 Z06 ran it in 2:41.3). Could be way off but I would think that is where GM would like to see thing fall.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote