View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 02:38 PM   #1
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Z/28 performance goals

All this talk of engine choices and ZL1 Ring times got me started thinking. We fully expect the ZL1 to beat the 5th gen Z/28 ring time. The 5th gen ZL1 had more hp than the Z/28 but considerably less grip (aero and tire). My question is this, competitors vehicles aside, how much power will it take to beat the ZL1 around the ring? And can it be achieved NA in production form?

The Camaro team clearly sees they need for big aero and massive super sticky tires. A 75 hp difference was easily trumped by decent aero and massive sticky tires. But can the aero and tire package, which will hurt straight line speeds, be enough to overcome a 100+ hp deficit?

Looking at it from an in house competition more than a cross brand competition, I think the ZL1 will be the Z/28s closest rival (as far as ring times are concerned and yes I know the GT350R time was never officially revealed).

I think even with the lighter platform, there will need to be some weight loss and 550+ hp to beat the ZL1. That HP advantage will be hard to overcome when the ZL1 will handle very well also.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote