Thread: 2017 ZL1
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2016, 10:45 AM   #23
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
I for one hope that it's slower. Just enough where a small mod or two will give it the edge but, I utterly loathe it when people get cars like that for straight line performance in mind only. Granted it's their car, their money, etc. but, that's what COPO's are for. Or get an SS and molest that to be a one trick pony. It boggles my mind why folks get a 1LE, ZL1 or Z/28 and worry about their drag racing capabilities.

As for a Z/28, since there is no large displacement, all motor variant currently in production for the Corvette, I'd wager to say that the new 1LE will suffice to the task or best case scenario, we'll see a well messaged LT1 (crate engine?) with DSSV shocks yet again. As of right now, I don't see how the Z/28 fits in their new line up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1Strider View Post
Well I rather drag race then auto cross, and last time I checked muscle cars had a big v8 dropped under the hood and drag raced. Yes it is great we live in a time when the American pony cars can do both, and do both great but they already have the 1LE package so why make the ZL1 just a track queen?? Look at the Dodge and the Challengers for example. Dodge decided to make the Hellcat series vehicles for a lot of horsepower and mainly straight line performance and its selling well! Maybe it is just me, but I'd rather see the ZL1 more dedicated to drag racing and a Z/28 and 1LE dedicated to tracking. Yes there is a COPO but you can't drive a COPO to the work everyday, or even on the streets legally. You can mod a SS for straight line performance, but you could also just mod a SS for tracking too. Maybe this is just me but that's how I feel about it.
This is an interesting perspective from both ends of the enthusiast spectrum. Both are right.

Drag racing is a lot of fun. Raw, hardcore acceleration at it's best. The best thing about it is that drag racing is so accessible and cheap. Just show up at the strip on Test and Tune, or Grudge night, whichever they call it with a $20 bill in your hand and a helmet on your head, and let 'er rip. Absolutely the best kind of car meet there is.

The trouble with road course is accessibility, and of course cost. A track day event typically costs what, in the $150-$250 range? Then it can be hell on tires and brakes, depending on skill and how hard you push it.

GM, however, wants to sell cars. Regardless of how the individual wants to use it, any one trick pony is just not going to get it done. Couple that with the understanding that first and foremost, they have to make the car daily drivable. Given that caveat, it has to measure up to all the safety, emission, and efficiency standards thrown at them. Not only that, and even above all that, it has to be comfortable and something that the consumer can and wants to drive to work everyday. Rule number one in mass production...the product must appeal to the masses.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote