View Single Post
Old 03-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #16431
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
How power is available is as important as how quickly the power spools up, the engine spins up. If two vehicles have the same exact power, same HP and TQ curves, the engine that spins up to power faster under load will be faster.

I have no time in the seat of a new ZL1 so it is impossible for me to venture an opinion. For guys like Joe Scoop, it is just as hard to compare because the new ZL1 is so mcuh lighter. So with this in mind, Joe do you think the power in the new engine comes on more quickly, slower or similar to the old engine?
Joe Scoop.

Theoretically, only vehicle weight and gearing will alter the speed at which both identical engines speed up.

The engine incorporates many more lightweight features than the LSA did. A smaller supercharger, aluminum balancer/damper, forged pistons/rods/crank, titanium valves. All of these things add up to decrease reciprocating mass, and increases how quickly the engine spins up. Many of you already know this.

That all said, I thought the LT4 spun up pretty damn quick. I was in the manual transmission car. If you watch videos of the automatic, the engine spins up and responds instantly to the different gear changes with little to no jolting of the passengers.