View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 06:17 PM   #19
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCamaro View Post
The llt motor had timing chain issues. Ie 2010 and 2011 camaro with v6 motor. They fixed the issue with the updated lfx motor mid way through production of the 2011 year.

The problem was the chain itself on the llt motor could stretch. There are a few people here who can tell you about when it happened to them. Gm claimed it was due to driving hard for short distances and not having the motor reach full operating temperature before driving it hard. Anyway i dont know the full reasoning behind it. But yes some have stretched, and they usually fail within the first 30k if not usually there are no problems. And you definetly do not need to replace it before any engine light comes on. The computer picks up the thrown timing before anything will happen. And if something were to happen gm would likely cover any repairs since there are documented cases of people with the problem.

As for reliability of the car. I had a 2010 1lt for 2 years with 120 000km and the only service it saw at the dealer was for an evap can replacement and 1 cat (under warranty). Gm was great about those 2 repairs too. Manufacturing defect for the cat.

I tried to explain this to my FB "source" and he came back with "they are all junk."

I think I'll just ignore him from here on out ...