View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 05:21 PM   #135
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
I'm dying to drive the 6th gen Camaro. It certainly sounds like a benchmark car to reset my driving expectations against. I remember my first drive in a 3rd Gen IROC Camaro, that car was a revelation and the first time an American car made since the 60's exceeded my expectations. Plus compared to anything else sold at the time, it looked like a supercar. Shame the car did not evolve over its production run, but that was typical of North American cars at the time; build a great car then let it whither on the vine. That car might be why I'm disappointed in the new car actually, I guess I want the car to visually match the advances they've made in dynamics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Never said it needed to look different, just evolve. The new Mustang looks lower, sleeker wider, whereas to my eyes (and as a potential buyer, that's all that matters), the new Camaro looks busy, and almost has an appearance of a 4 door sedan rendered as a coupe. I keep reading it's an evolution of the previous car but to me it looks the opposite. The previous car was clean, uncluttered, down to business looking. The only superfluous design element was the "gills" behind the doors. Take away the great colour options and it's not as sexy. It's like an overdone case of plastic surgery. Generally the Camaro has been a better looking car than the compatible Mustang. Just not this time. That's why, perhaps instead of trying to steel elements from the C5, maybe they would have been better off just reimagining the Camaro completely for the new platform. Frankly I'm not sure what disappointed me more, the weight gain of the Mustang or the looks of the Camaro. In either case, as they both sit right now, neither GM or Ford will be getting my money. I look forward to the refreshes.
Maybe I was confused by your statement I bolded thinking that you wanted the Camaro to look completely different from the 5th gen. I said and so did GM the new Camaro evolved from the 5th gen. Thats what I also said about the Mustang, it evolved from earlier styling and from other Ford models. It's just the Camaro took on attributes from the 5th gen but also from the C7 Corvette and the Mustang took on attributes from the earler Mustangs but also took on some Fusion attributes.