View Single Post
Old 10-27-2015, 11:09 AM   #9
Yam Fam

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntricateDetail View Post
Hey all,

I'm fairly new here. Been lurking around the 5th Gen forums, these forums, and the Corvette forums for a while now. Was also on the Mustang forums back when I was looking at getting a '15 Mustang. Glad I held off because this new Camaro did everything I wanted it to. Fixed that horrible interior, added much needed and much appreciated tech, made the car sleeker and more aggressive in the front, and provided more power with a significantly improved automatic transmission (yea, I love my autos. :P)

That being said...not to start a flame war...but do all of you really have the $45k to drop on a new car every 2-3 years, or are you just ok with having a car payment? Reason I ask is that I was raised that you buy cash or you don't buy at all. Only exception was for the house and you do everything you can, putting all your extra pennies into the principal to pay it off in 10-15 years, and not 30.

For me, I'd love to get into a new Camaro, and can definitely afford the payment, but don't have the $45k in a non-savings related account to drop on a car. Plus, I feel like an automobile is not a good investment, so it wouldn't make sense to do that anyway, unless the house was already paid off and I had nothing better to do with my money. But unfortunately, I am still fairly young, am married with two wonderful kids, and don't make $200k a year, yet...so my house is not paid off haha.

So now that you have some background on that...any of you care to explain your thoughts on the matter of why you made the choice to buy and if you are making payments, what is it that you feel justifies the purchase? For instance, the thrill of ownership alone, the fact you know how to budget properly, accepting that you will always have a car payment, etc. Not looking to be swayed...just interested in hearing others' thoughts on the matter.

Cheers!
Because the wife said I can have one. This will be my first car purchase and I'm 41. Been working my a$$ off for years and never had the funds to purchase the car that "I WANT." Always had used cars or rentals. I figure, you work hard and only have one lifetime to experience own your dream car. I always wanted a Camaro and now I can finally afford one. I have half of my down payment saved and it's looking good for a March\April purchase. My wife's car is paid off so we're in a good place financially. We also don't have any kids, which is a plus.
Yam Fam is offline   Reply With Quote