View Single Post
Old 06-10-2015, 01:52 AM   #5
BowtieV8
Longtime Chevy Girl

Drives: Not a VVette…yet
Everything I'm about to say (except for my question at the end) is my own opinion based on my time reading stuff online. I will most likely be wrong about some stuff.

I have been stalking around on Camaro5 since way back in the day. I remember a few years ago when FBodFather commented on how Chevy plays a different game than Ford (or Dodge). Ford has the Mustang. And…that was it back then. Chevy had the Camaro and the Corvette. If you were looking for a horsepower war, you turned to the ZR1. This is also why the Camaro won't have a production version with a backseat delete like Mustang did for a bit.

Point is, the Camaro won't have a horsepower answer to the Hellcat. At least not for many many years. If you want a Chevy to compete with it, look towards the Corvette. And maybe they don't have something now, but that doesn't mean that they won't eventually.

Camaro 6 will remain in the attainability category. That Hellcat is not easy to get for us common people. As Uncle Ben would probably say in his younger years, "With great horsepower, comes great big price tags." Another reason why Chevy will use the Corvette to go up against it, and not the Camaro. This is why the 5th Gen Z/28 didn't make sense to me. For that much money…you might as well try a bit more and aim for a Stingray.

And finally, look at the 1LE, ZL-1, Z/28, Stingray, and Z06. Chevy aims for track performance and balance, not caveman brute force in a straight line. There will always be someone who has a faster (in a straight line) and more powerful car out there. But very few who will be able to show the type of performance that you can obtain with a Chevy price range. I get what they are doing, and I like it as it is.

Now if only I could get my hands on one…

As for my own question related to this: Can the Hellcat, with all it's "manly" horsepower, beat the Z/28 or Z06 around VIR or The 'Ring? Or is it just a one-trick-pony (see what I did there?) that is only good for going in a straight line and sounding god-aweful?
BowtieV8 is offline   Reply With Quote