View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 06:40 PM   #300
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
I'm gonna say as crazy as it sounds until we have one on the scales you have to at least entertain the idea of him being some what right. I honestly think gm is comparingntye heaviest 5th gen to the lightest 6th gen to get those numbers. I hope dearly that I'm wrong but I doubt a 5th and 6th gen will weigh 200lbs difference when having the same options. Maybe 50-100lbs at best.
Your diplomacy is noted, but the guy who wrote that on the Mustang board is clearly scraping at the ground trying to deny reality. The post has NO merit.

Allow me to...hrm..."counter" his argument:

Firstly...GM, specifically the Camaro team and Al Oppenheiser, does not over-promise and under-deliver. There's no history of this, because they get crucified for every hiccup, and they know it. They also don't tweak numbers to make a good story - because they don't have to. Al and his engineering team take a ton of pride in building a car that backs up what they say.

Secondly, look at a Cadillac ATS V6 vs a Camaro 2LT V6 weight. The ATS coupe is the closest chassis setup to compare to the new Camaro. It's a coupe...it's on the alpha platform...it's RWD...and it uses the same engine.

Cadillac ATS coupe RWD: 3530lbs
Camaro V6 2LT coupe RWD: 3802lbs.

Difference in weight is approximately 272 lbs.

Thirdly, don't forget: Al and his team have also spec'd 70% new components for SIX vs existing company cars, including aluminum and composite suspension components. And they are well aware of the weight issue.

The new car will weigh at least 200 pounds less than the existing car, trim for trim - mark my words. Don't let any skurrt Mustang postings convince you otherwise.

As it says in my signature, and as we have done since 2003: "Keep the Faith"